Tuesday, April 16, 2024
HomeWorld NewsIran condemns US, UK attack on Yemen's cities Sanaa over Houthi operations...

Iran condemns US, UK attack on Yemen’s cities Sanaa over Houthi operations in the Red Sea

Iran on Friday condemned the joint US-UK attack on the Houthis in Yemen and warned that such military actions would increase “insecurity and instability” in the region, Iranian state media reported. “We strongly condemn the military attacks carried out this morning by the United States and the United Kingdom on several cities in Yemen,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kannani said, according to news agency Reuters.

He said that these attacks are a gross violation of Yemen’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, which is a violation of international law.

“These attacks are a clear violation of Yemen’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and a violation of international law,” he said, quoted by Reuters.

The comments come after the United States and Britain launched airstrikes on sites linked to the Houthi movement in Yemen. It is the first such military action in the country since the Iran-backed group began targeting international shipping in the Red Sea in late 2023.

US President Joe Biden said in a statement late Thursday that he would not hesitate to take further action if necessary.

“These targeted strikes send a clear message that the United States and our partners will not tolerate attacks on our personnel or allow hostile actors to threaten freedom of navigation,” Biden said.

Also read: US, UK attack Houthi targets in Yemen, Biden calls it ‘defensive action’ against attacks in the Red Sea

Britain’s Defense Ministry said in a statement that “there are early indications that the Houthis’ ability to threaten merchant shipping has been hit.”

A Houthi official confirmed “raids” in the capital Sanaa, as well as the cities of Saada and Dhamar and Hodeida governorate. The official described these actions as “American-Zionist-British aggression”.

According to witnesses who spoke to Reuters, airstrikes on Thursday were focused on various locations, including a military base near Sanaa airport, a military site near Taiz airport, a Houthi naval base in Hodeidah and military sites in Hajjah governorate. Were included. The current airstrikes represent a significant and dramatic escalation of tensions amid the escalating conflict between Israel and Hamas in the Middle East since it began in October.

A US official told Reuters the airstrikes were carried out using aircraft, ships and submarines. The official noted that more than a dozen locations were chosen to be targeted, emphasizing that the strikes were aimed at reducing the Houthis’ military capabilities and were not merely symbolic in nature.

The Houthis, who control much of Yemen, have ignored calls from the United Nations and other international bodies to halt their missile and drone attacks on Red Sea shipping routes. Despite warnings from the United States about possible consequences if such actions persisted, the Houthi rebels continued their defiance.

The Houthis have so far attacked 27 ships, disrupting international commerce on the key route between Europe and Asia, which carries about 15% of the world’s shipping traffic. The rebel group has vowed to attack any ships with ties to Israel or headed to Israeli ports. However, many of the targeted ships had no ties to Israel.

The Houthis say their attacks are in support of Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist group that controls Gaza.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments