Tuesday, April 16, 2024
HomeWorld NewsPrince Harry has been awarded £140,000 in damages following a court ruling...

Prince Harry has been awarded £140,000 in damages following a court ruling after a British tabloid hacked his phone.

Prince Harry won his phone hacking case against the publisher of the Daily Mirror on Friday and received more than 140,000 pounds ($180,000) in the first of several claims to go to trial against British tabloids, news agency AP reported. Did. According to High Court judge Timothy Fancourt, phone hacking was “widespread and habitual” at Mirror Group newspapers for many years, and private investigators “were an integral part of the system” to obtain information illegally. He said that newspaper executives knew about the practice but chose to conceal it.

Fancourt said she awarded damages to the Duke of Sussex for 15 of the 33 newspaper pieces in the lawsuit, which were the result of illegal information gathering and resulted in the misuse of Harry’s private information.

The court added damages for the Duke’s suffering and an additional amount to enhanced damages to “reflect a feeling of special injury and outrage” at the fact that two directors of Trinity Mirror knew about the conduct but did not condone it. Did nothing to stop it.

“Instead of doing that, they turned a blind eye to what was going on and certainly covered it up,” the AP quoted Fancourt as saying in its report. He added, “If the illegal conduct had been stopped, Duke’s misuse of personal information would have ended much sooner.”

King Charles III’s younger son, Harry, had demanded 440,000 pounds ($560,000) as part of a fight against the British media, which disregarded his family’s historic dislike of litigation and allowed him to testify against the royal in court. Made the first senior member of the family. Century.

His testimony in the witness box over two days in June made a spectacle of allegations that Mirror Group newspapers had employed journalists who monitored voicemails and provided misleading information about him and other family members to private investigators. And used to pay to know through illegal means.

“I believe phone hacking was on an industrial scale at at least three newspapers at that time,” Harry said in court. He further added, “This is beyond any doubt.”

The court said that Harry had a tendency in his evidence to believe that everything published was the product of voicemail interception, which was not the case. He stressed that Mirror Group is “not responsible for all illegal activities directed at Duke.”

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments